I recently shared a post about how to move a tumblr blog to a new owner. Unfortunately that only works for secondary blogs. It may be the case that either on your current account, or possibly a new one created specifically for your blog, you want your secondary blog to actually be your primary blog.
Sadly, this isn’t possible from tumblr’s perspective (nor does it seem like they’ll be changing it any time soon). However, you can “trick” the system into treating your secondary blog as your primary blog.
Note: This process renders your current primary blog pretty much useless. This is a workaround to get as close to the functionality as possible. Make a backup before you start and proceed at your own risk.
I recommendÂ transferring your secondary blog to a new accountÂ before you begin.
How to Make a Secondary Tumblr Blog a Primary Tumblr Blog
- Log into your tumblr account and go to your current Primary blog.
- Click on Customize theme, then Edit HTML.
- Right after where it says <head> put the following code, where “http://inserttumblrurl.tumblr.com/” is the address of the Secondary blog that you want to be the Primary blog.
window.location.href = “http://inserttumblrurl.tumblr.com”
- Click Update Preview, then Appearance, then Save, then Close.
- Your old Primary blog will now always redirect to your Secondary blog. That means whenever you follow someone or ask a question, they’ll be directed to your Secondary blog if they click on your name.
- Optional: You may want to change the URL of your old Primary blog to something similar to your Secondary blog so that the name that appears when following people seems related to your blog. The easiest solution is adding a hyphen (‘-‘) in the name.
- How to Make Your Secondary Blog Your Primary BlogÂ – A tumblr post explaining the details.